Saturday, February 21, 2009

Valparaiso- es mi paraiso

I just returned from Valparaiso and it was an amazing city. It is set in the mountains and the buildings cascade down it slopes with with integrated murals peeking around the corners. The nice beaches are short drive away. The city has a warm youthful feel with a fun nightlife in the center.


We stayed with my friend, Nelson's (Cekis) sister, Bisy who is a graf writer as well. She is apart of a female collective. Bisy's has a charming house over looking the city. This is the view from her bedroom.



We only had one night here so we had to make the most of it. First things first. Head to the beach. Here was our little crew...

Nelson" Crazy Guy"


The Infamous Peter...and me...

After a nice day at the beach... we cooked some great fish and walked around all night doing what we do. Not only was it a great work out because these hills are super steep but it was amazing fun. We scoped walls for future murals and checked out all the new stuff people had painted. Since the city is set in the hills murals just pop around each corner. I suck and didn't take the best pictures of the murals in Valparaiso but this will give you an idea of what they look like on the streets. Sorry I was so into looking at them I forgot to pull out my camera. I will get better at this though...



Anyways my trip in Santiago is wrapping up... bummer... I said by to my friend Nelson today. He took off to Sao Paolo to paint with his crewmate Grin. They are working out details for an upcoming show in Sao Paolo as well as going there to just get up. Nelson took the best care of me and watched out for me like family. I am super grateful to have shared this time with him and got an insight into the scene in Santiago...

With my last few days I am working out details for my new job in Colombia as well as trying to lay some groundwork for people to paint with there. I am going to be guiding painting workshops in spanish so I am trying to build my vocabulary. I have a small presentation of my project idea on tuesday so wish me luck. It is in spanish so I am a little nervous. I also hope to paint one more time with a female collective here in Santiago before I leave. My flight is Monday morning. So hopefully I can make it happen.

take care and be in touch... next stop Bogota...

Yoshi

No comments:

Post a Comment